Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Chance or Fate ... You Decide!

Life experiences, they’re the building blocks of who we are. Each memory, a road traveled on that map we call life. But my question has always been … why? Why do we choose one route over another? What compels us to travel in a certain direction? It’s a question I’ve mulled around for as long as I can remember, and it’s a major theme in my writing.

Looking back at life, I’ve often wondered about my own choices. For me, the unwise decisions are often easier to explain away using words like immaturity and lack of life experience. No, it's the good choices that I find much more worthy of my contemplation. Was there a reason why I found my way to a certain job, location … person?
My existence is filled with countless examples of seemingly innocent introductions that have profoundly changed my life. Am I to believe that these meetings were mere coincidences? Should I just chalk them up to being in the right place at the right time? For those of you who haven’t figured out my M.O. by now … I’m leaning toward an emphatic NO!!!

So what kind of examples are we talking about? Well, my first chance encounter happened the day I talked to Lynda McBlain, the part-time vocal instructor at the music studio my friend insisted I call during my lunch break. I was actually calling to talk with Dr. Steven Gorton, the studio’s owner. He was very well known in the area, and my friend assured me that Dr. Gorton would be there if I called … During! My! Lunch! Break! So I did. But low and behold on this particular day, Dr. Gorton was not there … Lynda McBlain was. Two minutes into our phone conversation and I knew she was the one I was meant to work with. One month later, I was performing arias at a local talent show. On a side note, I had no idea I could sing classically until I met Lynda. Talk about a wonderful surprise.
I’ll spare you details of the numerous life-long friendships I’ve made that appeared to materialize out of thin air. Let’s not forget the “crazy” story of how I met my first editor and dearest friend Claudia Suzanne. That one still boggles my brain. Hmmmm. Come to think of it, I must remember to send a thank you note to “Camp Evanovich” some day for that one. And then there’s the day I vowed to not turn my computer on. Thankfully, I didn’t listen. That was the day I met MuseItUp Publisher, Lea Schizas. I wouldn’t be chatting with you right now if it wasn’t for that chance encounter.

In all honesty, I’ve had so many chance encounters in my lifetime, I could literally write a book. Hmmmmm. (Pauses to contemplate her last statement) Have I mentioned that my debut novel Courting the Flame comes out June, 2012??
Enough about me, though. I’d like to hear your thoughts. Do you believe in chance encounters? Do you think that two people can actually be fated to find one another? I love to read your comments, so feel free to drop me a line or two or twenty! As always, I’m anxious to hear what you have to say.