Saturday, September 3, 2011

Bass Ackwards, Anyone???

The more time I spend wearing my author’s hat, the more I realize I may have gone about this whole “writing” thing a bit backwards. Of course, this epiphany wouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone who knows me. Doing things “bass ackwards” is my modus operandi. It’s how I operate. Sure, I could have taken writing classes before I decided to write a novel. They would have made for a lot less red ink during those first edits. Can you say … Ouch! But where’s the fun in that?! No, I chose to learn how to write, by writing, and looking back at the past three and a half years of my life, I wouldn’t change a thing about that decision, red ink and all. In my opinion, learning on the fly is one of the most exciting parts about being an author. It’s how I’ve honed my skills (shivers with excitement). Yes. That’s right. I’ve become a writing geek. But honestly once you’ve been bitten, there’s really no turning back, at least not for this author. I’m officially obsessed.

Perhaps my opinion is skewed, though. Working as a reading teacher for 13 years can do that to you. But if there’s one thing I’ve learned about teaching reluctant readers and writers, it’s this: if they’re not intrinsically motivated, you’ve got your work cut out. It just makes sense that human beings would learn best when their motivation is driven by interest or enjoyment (hence my backwards approach to writing). When the need arose, I became a human sponge and soaked up anything and everything I could to make my project the best that it could be. At the very least, I owed it to my characters. They’ve thanked me many times since then, by the way, especially Gracie my protagonist. Why just the other day she told me that …

(Clears throat) Diana? The plot?!
Yes, yes. Moving forward. Always forward. (Takes a moment to review post) Hmmm. You know what?! Upon closer reflection I’m now thinking that maybe I didn’t go about writing my novel “bass ackwards”. Upon closer reflection, I’m thinking that maybe, just maybe, I wrote it precisely the way I needed to. Why? Because I’m Diana DeCameron, and that’s the way I write. Talk about your epiphany!!