Monday, August 13, 2012

Chirp, Buzz...and BAM!


Here are this week's...
Random Facts and Tidbits.

Random Courting the Flame Fact:

Once I settled upon Boston as the setting for Courting the Flame, the next step was to find an inspiration piece to get the creative juices flowing. To me, the process is very much like that of decorating a room. You search and search for something to build your theme around, a special vase or an interesting pillow, for instance. Once you find that item…BAM! Everything else falls into place.

In the case of Courting the Flame, Pierre-Auguste Renoir’s Dance at Bougival was most definitely my inspiration piece. There was just something about the painting that instantly grabbed a hold of me. I think the girl’s vibrant red bonnet was the first thing to catch my attention. Of course, the man’s yellow chapeau also caught my eye. But without a doubt, it was the ambiguous expression on the girl that really drew me in. It had a very sort of ‘Mona Lisa’ quality to it and that intrigued me. Enough to incorporate it in my novel, LOL. And the rest is…well…Courting the Flame history.        

Diana DeCameron Tidbit:

So today was one of those days when you try to take care of a zillion and one home improvement projects (you know, all those things you’ve let slide because…well…you’ve been busy writing a novel for the past four years), and out of nowhere it hits me. Somehow I’ve wandered blindly into the final days of summer. I say wandered because I never saw the end coming.

No longer did I feel hot and sticky. Instead, a cool breeze settled in bringing with it a new soundtrack. While I was 'busy' getting things done, the romantic atmosphere created by spring and early summer's serenading birds was replaced by the desperate chirping and buzzing of all those late summer insects. I can't help but wonder if they're trying to share their last thoughts with the world before the cooler temperatures finally silence them. Take, for instance, the cricket who decided to make a home on my front porch. For a good hour, I actually thought the sound was coming from someone blowing a whistle. I went as far as to search out the culprit. Imagine my surprise when I found out that it was only a lowly cricket trying to say hello.

So how does any of this qualify as a Diana Tidbit? Because it leads up to a personal preference. Believe me, I was more than shocked by today's great epiphany, but it didn’t sadden or depress me. Not in the least. Why? Because although I love the summer, and I do…I’m a fall girl through and through. I absolutely adore this time of the year because it makes me feel nostalgic, and nostalgia makes me feel creative. Hmm. Maybe that’s why Gracie ends up in Boston at precisely this time of the year. (Shoulder shrug)

Who knew?  


More Random Facts and Tidbits to come. Oh…and while I have your attention, I’m excited to announce that reader reviews for Courting the Flame are starting to roll in. All of them extremely positive. I’ve attached the latest one here:

If you’ve read Courting the Flame and are willing to share your thoughts, I’d love to hear from you, as well. Feel free to leave your reviews at museituppublishing.com, goodreads.com, or Amazon.com.

As always...
Until we meet again, make it a great week!
Oh...and more Facts and Tidbits to come.