Tuesday, November 13, 2012

A Different Kind of Sickness...



Back again with the latest segment of...
Random Facts and Tidbits.

Random Courting the Flame Fact:

Those of you who’ve already read Courting the Flame will get this reference, but there are a couple of characters in my paranormal romance who struggle with…shall we say, anger issues. Displaced anger has always been a topic of interest to me, but anger that crosses over into hatred? I’ve been trying to figure that one out for years now. Courting the Flame is my attempt at nailing it down.   

Diana DeCameron Tidbit:

Why is the world filled with hate? Some days I feel paralyzed by it. Click on the television and—Bam! There it is. Story after story of people hating on each other. Some days you see family members hating other family members. Sometimes it’s workers hating coworkers. I’ve even seen strangers hating strangers. And just as varied as the actual hater combinations are, are the actual reasons to loath each other. At last check, people can hate one another for a myriad of reasons:  ethnic backgrounds, sexual preferences, religious preferences. Political views, job choices, and hair color are also popular choices. The list grows daily.

Sighs.

From my perspective the only thing that hate spares, is itself. Hate loves more hate. Some days I feel like it’s reached epidemic proportions. Even I have to admit to feeling twinges of “hate-like” emotions from time to time. Fortunately, I never allow myself to be fully pulled into its black hole of negativity, at least not now that I’m older and wiser. Hate had a much better chance with me when I was young and naïve, when I was willing to expend my energies on something as dark and destructive as hating another human being. Now I realize how precious my energy is. These days, I don’t waste it.

And here’s another thing. Hate? It spreads like wildfire. Doctors are always going on and on about what the next big “flu” will be. Surely, I’m not the only person who sees the seriousness of our hate pandemic? I haven’t crunched the numbers, mind you, but I’m fairly certain that hate takes more lives each year than the flu bug ever has. It can ruin friendships, tear families apart, threaten to tear communities apart. Look back through your history books, folks. Hatred is on many of the pages!

But here’s the craziest part. This hate thingy—it’s completely treatable. I kid you not. We could completely eradicate it from the world by simply respecting each other’s opinions. I’m not talking about agreeing with each other, I’m simply suggesting that we respect each other’s views. Empathy is another biggy! Remember the old adage, never judge someone until you’ve walked a mile in their shoes?

Of course, maybe this hatred thing stems from our inability to express anger without being hurtful toward others. Feeling angry is normal. But people seem to enjoy it much more if they can direct it toward someone else. Me? I choose to work through my occasional bouts with frustration in other ways…say, like writing. Sometimes I pop in my ear buds and go for a walk. Sometimes I even resort to eating salted caramels. Hey, whatever it takes…right?

But that’s enough about my thoughts. I’d really like to hear yours. All are welcome to comment, of course. My only request is that you be respectful of other people’s opinions and feelings. We’re all adults here. I really think we can handle this. Right?

Right?!

As always...
Until we meet again, make it a great week!
Oh...and more Facts and Tidbits to come.