Thursday, April 25, 2013

Perhaps Lucy was Onto Something...


Back again with the latest segment of...
Random Facts and Tidbits.

Random Courting the Flame Fact…Reminder?!

Tick, tick, tock. This is it! The countdown’s on! This Saturday afternoon (4-27-13) beginning at 2:30PM, I’ll be appearing at the Plymouth Public Library, part of Luzerne County Pennsylvania's Library System, to host a very special Courting the Flame—Meet the Author/Book Club Event! If you’ve already read Courting the Flame and would like to “fire” some plot questions and/or comments my way, here’s your chance!

Plus, stop by and visit and you could win a cool Courting the Flame Gift Basket loaded with items that have “ties” to my debut paranormal romance novel. If you've already read Courting the Flame, you'll understand this eclectic collection of goodies. If you haven't, think of how much fun it will be to spot the items as they appear in the story.



So, mark your calendars for this Saturday (4-27-13) starting at 2:30 PM. I can’t wait to dive headlong into a lively discussion about love, life, and the pursuit of all things paranormal at the Plymouth Public Library, 107 W. Main Street, Plymouth, PA 18651. See you there.

For directions or to contact the Plymouth Public Library directly, call (570) 779-4775.   

And now, onto another Diana DeCameron “Tidbit”…

Diana DeCameron Tidbit:

Blog topics don’t always come easily to me. If the act of writing feels at all forced, I simply won’t do it. I’m one of those “odd” writers who won't put pen to paper (so to speak) unless I’m truly inspired to do so. I write simply for the joy of doing it, not because I have to. I have a day job. Lately, however, there has been one topic that’s been weighing heavy on my heart. Tonight, I’m putting voice to it and giving it the room it needs to breathe.

Tonight I'm talking about..."fear".

It’s a topic that’s surfaced and resurfaced again and again in my life. Normally, I try to lock it away, camouflage it, or call it by a different name—all in the hopes that it will magically disappear, vanish, or evaporate from my life. None of those strategies have ever worked, though. So tonight I’m going to try a radically different approach. Tonight, I’m bringing “fear” out of the shadows and into the light. The way I look at it is, if you’re that desperate for attention, I’ll give it to you.

Sooooo…(Lays head back on the couch to stare up at the ceiling) Where does this “fear” thing all begin? It's a valid question. My answer? Well, it depends on your perspective. For those of you who don’t believe in reincarnation…”fear” undoubtedly introduced itself to me at birth. For those of you who do…we’ve more than likely already had this conversation so I apologize in advance for repeating myself, but most of the time it feels like “fear” has been chasing me through lifetime after lifetime after lifetime. Stick with me and you’ll see where I’m going with this. I hope.

As a small child, I remember being afraid of just about everything. I’ll spare you the itemized list. Believe me, it’s extensive and…you’re welcome. Anyway, I specifically remember a time when I was about 6 and my mother read Little Red Riding Hood to me. Looking back, I’m not sure if it was the actual story as much as it was the time of day (early evening) and the weather conditions (rainy and dreary), but the story just about scared the bejeebers out of me! I’m talking a blood-draining-from-your-limbs, heart-racing kind of scared.

The full thrust of my fear didn’t really strike until after the story was read, however...when I was reminded by my mother that I needed to take care of my chores. It was my job to take the dirty clothes down into the (cue echo) dark, dank basement. I’m sure you see where this is going. Beads of perspiration formed on my forehead. My heart thudded wildly in my chest. Even my lungs struggled to pull in enough air to support my breathing. Why? Well, obviously I was convinced that the Big Bad Wolf was going to burst through one of the basement windows and eat me. Don’t laugh. (shivers) Of course, Mom helped me to move past my “fear” of the basement by forcing me to meet my fears head on. Translation? She stood at the top of the stairs and told me I had 2 minutes to get my butt downstairs and put the dirty clothes in the hamper…”or else”!

Now, keep in mind that I had absolutely no idea what “or else” meant, but as a child who was already afraid of the Big Bad Wolf, I was determined not to find out! Which I didn’t. I was a good kid (relatively speaking). I did what I was told. So what did I do? What any 6 year old would do. I held my breath and raced at break-necking speeds down the stairway tossing my armful of dirty clothes into the formidable darkness that was…(cue echo again) "the basement".

ObviouslyI’m making light of the situation. But honestly, at 6 this was some pretty serious stuff. Little did I know then, however, that the Big Bad Wolf would pale in comparison to the other “monsters” I would learn to fear once I got older.

Let’s face it, as a child it makes sense to fear the Big Bad Wolf. Good Lord, he has sharp teeth and clearly appears to be hungry like…I don’t know…all of the time?! But no one bothered to warn me about this “new” breed of monsters that were headed my way. No one said, “Fear the monsters lurking in the deepest, darkest corners…of your mind.”

I like to refer to them as the Subconscious-Mongers. Oh, they’re horrid creatures, these “Subconscious-Mongers”. They make you doubt yourself, your abilities…your self-worth. (Shivers) Does this new breed of monsters have sharp teeth, you ask? Honestly, I’ve never really made eye contact with them, so I really don’t know. All I do know is that they usually visit me when I’m sleeping. When I am vulnerable. They creep into my subconscious and whisper, “Doubt yourself. Worry about things that are completely out of your control. Obsess over everything and anything.” For many years, I allowed these monsters to consume my life. There have been many a night where I've jolted up from my bed consumed with fear and trembling in the darkness.

And then I found writing—my outlet, my therapy, my saving grace.

I won’t say that I still don’t have occasional panic attacks. Of course, I do. But now, however, I have somewhere to direct all of that otherwise wasted energy. And the greatest thing is that as a writer I call the shots. I create the conflicts, but I also resolve them. It definitely leaves one with a sense of accomplishment and control.

Take that “fear”!!!!     

Oh, and for those of your still wondering, I'm happy to say that I eventually moved past my fear of carnivorous fairy tale characters. Ole Big Bad and I turned out to be great friends, as did long-time friends Frankenstein, Dracula, and the Blob. As a matter of fact, (waggles eyebrows) I’ve grown up to be quite the lover of ghost stories, vampires, and all things that go bump in the night. Who would have thought it possible, right?! So for those of you who, much like myself, still occasionally struggle with unseen monsters, know that there’s someone out there who understands exactly where you’re coming from. But more importantly...(takes on a classic Ninja stance) know that I got your back ;)

“What is needed, rather than running away or controlling or suppressing or any other resistance, is understanding fear; that means, watch it, learn about it, come directly into contact with it. We are to learn about fear, not how to escape from it.”

I don't say this very often, but perhaps Lucy was onto something...


As always…
Until we meet again, make it a great week!
Oh, and more Facts and Tidbits to come.