Monday, May 13, 2013

A Day on the River...


Back again with the latest segment of...
Random Facts and Tidbits.

Random Courting the Flame Fact…Line?!


First, let me start by saying, “Thank you, thank you…THANK YOU!” to the lovely ladies at the Plymouth Public Library. Seeing as though it was my first “official” author appearance, I had no idea what to expect on 4-27-13! I can tell you, however, that the afternoon far surpassed my dreams! I had an absolute blast chatting about love, life, and the making of Courting the Flame! The only downer was how quickly the time flew by. A huge thank you to Judy R. for pulling it all together, by the way. You’re a doll, Jude!

And now onto our “Random Courting the Flame…Line?!

Okay. So here’s how it works. Below, please find a random quote from my debut paranormal romance, Courting the Flame. Be the first person to guess who said it and win a Courting the Flame mug. It’s that simple! And now, for the quote:

“Anyway, once I made it past ‘the clothing,’ I found her work extremely insightful. She sees beyond the static to the truth in her subjects. It’s a fascinating approach, possibly even unique. Three or four shades at least on the other side of Picasso or Dali.”

So, which Courting the Flame character said it? Feel free to post your guesses in the comments section. Just click on the tiny red “post a comment” button at the very bottom of today’s post. I know. Could the button be any smaller, right?! Anyway, all I need is your guess for now. We’ll work out the details later. The first person with the right character, wins!

Good luck!   

And now, onto another Diana DeCameron Tidbit:

So, we all know I’ve been busy. I’d like to say it’s because I’ve been working on Book II, but in reality, my “business” has been attached to some required graduate course work I’ve been trying to complete. This past Sunday I was determined to put the finishing touches on a Shakespeare course I’d been immersed in for far too long. I’m happy to announce that as of 5-12-13, I finally finished it! Yes, that was me “Whoot! Whooting” at around 11 AM Eastern-Standard time. I’m sure you heard me. Lord knows my family did!

So, there I was feeling completely triumphant thinking…You know what? You should totally reward yourself with a little family time! Later that day, I followed up on my advise and did just that. My husband, boys, and I took our fishing boat down to the Susquehanna River for a late afternoon boat ride!

For those who aren’t familiar, the Susquehanna River is a well-know piece of Northeastern Pennsylvania’s landscape. Flowing through New York, Pennsylvania, and Maryland, at 464 miles, it’s the longest river on the American east coast that drains into the Atlantic Ocean. As is true of any river the Susquehanna’s size, it’s been a source of both beauty and devastation throughout the years, but one thing’s for certain. As a Northeastern Pennsylvanian “lifer”, the Susquehanna River has been a part of my
life for almost 44 years now—which is precisely why we decided to visit it this past Sunday. Drifting along the Susquehanna is something we like to do together as a family.



With temperatures ranging in the mid to upper seventies, it turned out to be the perfect day to meet up with our old friend. I held tightly onto my hat as we took off downstream, the sun filtering through the trees. Beams of sunlight cast dancing shadows upon the Susquehanna’s dark waters (a residual effect of local coal mining that continues to plague my stretch of the river) as I squinted into the oncoming air. When we finally reached our destination (the boys’ favorite fishing spot) I reached for my notebook and pen. I enjoy jotting down my thoughts in a free-form brainstorming sort of way while the boys cast their lines. It’s a very relaxing and oftentimes productive activity. Many blog post topics have introduced themselves to me in just this fashion.


Whether it was the sound of the red-winged blackbirds or something more spiritual
gliding along the late afternoon breeze, something on the Susquehanna eventually lead my thoughts to the Susquehannock Indians. A branch of the Andastes, a subdivision of the Algonquin Tribe, the Susquehannocks were the earliest humans to inhabit the Susquehanna River Valley. Farmers, fishermen, and hunters, the Susquehannocks or “the people of the muddy river” were also known to be quite aggressive and warlike, always fighting with their northern neighbors the Iroquois.

As we continued to slowly drift downstream, I couldn’t help but wonder if the thought came to me because of the particular location our boat had drifted to. Did this stretch of the river have some sort of spiritual significance to the Susquehannocks? Perhaps it had been the location of one of their many battles? Not much historical information remains on the Susquehannock Indians. I do know, however, that in 1675 their people were decimated by an epidemic and by continued fighting with the Iroquois. I also know that in 1763, the surviving 20 Susquehannocks (who had converted to Christianity by this time) were slaughtered by an angry mob known as the Paxton Boys, a group of Scottish-Irish frontiersmen who had wanted to enact revenge on a group of warring Indians some 200 miles away, but settled for the remaining 20 “now peaceful” Susquehannocks.

I scanned the river with a new lens. How different things must have been back then, I thought. How much more vocal the red-winged blackbirds must have sounded when they didn’t have to compete with the never-ending hum of traffic or the occasional rumble of a train. How much more beautiful the rolling hills that line the Susquehanna River Valley must have appeared devoid of power lines and structures. Perhaps, I continued to ponder, that was my answer. Perhaps, I surmised, the Susquehannocks simply wanted me to remember the way things might have appeared, sounded, or smelled…when once they walked this land.

“Perhaps,” I glanced down at the river’s rippling waters, reflections of a once proud people glancing back. “Perhaps…” I sighed, lifting my face to the sun.

The same sun that once shone upon the Susquehannock Indians.

As always…
Until we meet again, make it a great week!
Oh, and more Facts and Tidbits to come.